The Shawnee Twin Lakes, on South Deer Creek in Pottawatomie County, are municipal lakes owned and operated by the City of Shawnee. Lake #1 was built in 1935, covers a surface area of 1,336 acres and has 16 miles of shoreline. Lake #2 was built in 1960, has a surface area of 1,100 acres and 9 miles of shoreline. The lakes are connected by a 10-foot-deep canal constructed in 1962.
Shawnee residents approved a referendum in 1994 permitting full recreation on Lake #1, which includes fishing, swimming, skiing, and personal watercraft. A fully enclosed fishing dock provides all-weather fishing. Only boats and fishing are allowed on Lake #2.
Isaac Walton Park, established after the opening of Lake #1 in 1935, has a pavilion, 15 camp sites, 8 picnic areas with grills, swimming, restrooms, lighting, and parking. The Glen Collins Park formerly called "Stonehenge" was developed by city crews, is located between the two dams, and has a pavilion, picnic areas with grills, swimming, restrooms, lighting and parking. To reserve one of the covered pavilions, contact the Shawnee Parks Department at 878-1529.